7.16.2011

My Little Papel Picado Project

I've been busy these last few days with a little graphic design project I've been working on for Robin's wedding. Oh yeah, I used to dabble in this stuff before grad school when I had free time (when I say dabble, I actually mean sometimes being paid for it - oh I miss those days). Anyways, Robin wanted something fun for the written portion of her wedding - the menus, programs, etc, and she and Dave introduced me to the Mexican art of Papel Picado. I didn't do too much research into how it came about, but think of paper snowflakes - except much more elaborate and turned into banners, flags, you name it, for celebratory events.

It is an amazingly delicate craft, and I found a lot of inspiration online - from using the traditional banners at weddings, to using the motif for invitations. I'm not quite done yet, but the last image is kind of a logo I'm working on - it's been fun. Now off to find a printer...


Image found here

This one here

And... my work in progress. The papel picado is actually shades of the bridesmaids' dress color, too - so pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment