1.07.2012

LA Scene - Pacific Standard Time

My last few days in California, and I totally lucked out - amazing weather (seriously, 80 degrees in January?!) and a trip up to Los Angeles to check out some new furniture stores and take in Pacific Standard Time. Hands down my favorite exhibits were at LACMA and the Getty.  We hit up LACMA first, and I could not believe I actually had not been there since I lived in the area about 6 years ago - the renovations/new buildings have entirely changed LACMA.  
Urban Light installation at LACMA
The exhibit at LACMA - California Design: 1930 - 1965 - had some great furniture, including this groovy coffee table (I'm still searching for inspiration for my own) from Milo Baughman that includes a planter (so Cali ;-)).  I forgot the maker, but I also really liked the rope lounge chairs - perfect for an 80 degree lounging-by-the-pool type day.



But my favorite had to be the Eames installation.  Of course, you weren't allowed to take pictures, so this was my best "sneak" of their exhibit.  The Case Study House No. 8 was recreated at LACMA, and they had meticulously arranged everything inside the same way Charles and Ray had it (furniture, books, plants).  Pretty amazing.


Then yesterday we hit up the West Side, and headed over to the Getty.  Again, the Pacific Standard Time exhibits were great (some really cool resin sculpture that originated in California - I think around the time surf boards were just starting to be made that way).  But with such a perfect day, I think the best views were from outside the Getty.  



Alright, I better go enjoy my last day of nice weather before hopping on a plane headed back to DC tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment