6.30.2009

First Impressions

I arrived in Savannah late afternoon -  just in time to check into my hotel, drop off my (growing) luggage, draw myself a map to find my way back to said hotel, and wander around this little big town with absolutely no agenda for the evening.  It was nice knowing since I added an entire extra day to my stay here, I didn't have to run around trying to do/see everything the first night.

But let me tell you, right away, I think I could spend some considerable time here.  I picked a hotel kind of in between the North and South Historic areas - not right on the water, but not as far south as Forsyth Park, and I think it's going to be the perfect home base.  I wandered to the river first, and enjoyed sitting on a park bench listening to an old man playing Somewhere over the Rainbow on his saxophone - not a bad way to start off my visit.  

After relaxing by the water for a while, I decided to head in the opposite direction toward Forsyth Park.  On my way, I stumbled upon Paula Deen's restaurant and store, which I appreciated since I'm a total Food Network junkie.  The park was incredible - I love how all of the oak trees covered with Spanish moss canopy over the park (and also over all of the main streets).  And, since it's not a billion degrees here like it was in Texas, I think I'm going to get up early tomorrow and run in the park.

Walking home I wandered through several residential blocks.  I have to say, it kind of reminds me of Georgetown - the cobblestone streets, the architecture - I even climbed up some stairs by the water that were as steep as ThExorcist steps.

So, while today wasn't jamb-packed with an agenda, I really enjoyed my time - looking forward to really getting into this city over the next two days.


No comments:

Post a Comment