6.28.2009

Museum and a Movie

This morning Dave, Robin and I went to The Houston Museum of Natural Science to see the Terra Cotta Warriors exhibit. I didn't really know what we were going to see, but once there realizing the magnitude of the excavation, I was pretty amazed - and I normally hate "history." I don't think I could do the exhibit justice, so I'm going to pull a bit from the museum's website:

"They stood watch over China's first emperor for thousands of years - and astonished the world when they were uncovered in 1974. The Terra Cotta Warriors have been called the greatest archaeological discovery of the 20th century - and even, the Eighth Wonder of the World...

Terra Cotta Warriors: Guardians of China's First Emperor includes more than 100 artifacts from the tomb complex of Emperor Qin Shihuangdi - the man who first unified the warring states that are known today as China. Created to protect him on the journey to the afterlife, these dramatic soldiers embody both the death of an emperor - and the birth of a nation."

The Emperor ruled around 200 BC, and there is thought to be about 7,000 figures yet to be exhumed from the site. It was pretty incredible to see weapons, tools and figures from over 2,000 years ago so well preserved and intact.

Of course we had to get a little silly...

My afternoon consisted of wondering around The Houston Heights, a stretch around W. 19th Street that is full of antique stores - they were terrible. In fact, I would say to someone visiting Houston there is no need to even wander this part of the city...

But getting to the better part of the rest of the day, and having nothing to do with the city at all, we all went to see Away We G0 tonight. Hilarious at times, tear-jerking at others, the movie explored different romantic relationships in the context of the family dynamic. It was really good, and I'm going to use this post to advertise - SEE THIS MOVIE!

No comments:

Post a Comment