6.20.2009

Santa Fe, cont.

Yesterday was my second (and last) full day in Santa Fe, and before I forget all the little details, I wanted to get something up here.

Conquering Canyon Road was my goal for the day – it’s sort of a hike from the main Plaza, but about a mile in length, it hosts about 120 galleries/stores.  Santa Fe is the third largest city in the country for art (Los Angeles, and recently San Francisco top it), so I definitely wanted to check it out.  What I learned:  just because there is a lot of art, does not mean that it is good art.  Maybe it is just because I have such sophisticated taste (haha), but I found a lot of it really ugly.  Highlights of the ugly, include stuff like these two trapeze guys:


After walking up and down Canyon Road for about four hours, I decided my favorite art was actually from a group of older women who were out water coloring a cute Adobe house. If they were willing to sell their paintings, I probably would have walked away with a few.  


But instead, I found a ring by a local artist:

AND… my very own pair of cowboy boots!  Who knows when I’m going to wear these things (I take that back, I am in Texas now…), but I picked up a pair of used ones at Cowboyz for less than a tenth of the price of new ones I had seen the day before, and they sure are cute!  Now I just need a cowboy to go with them. ;)

Lastly, I have to mention dinner last night.  AMAZING!  Definitely one of the best meals I’ve had in as long as I can remember.  The concierge at The Inn at Anasazi (where I stayed) recommended heading over to the O’Keefe Café (next to the Georgia O’Keefe museum, which I actually went to on my first day and greatly enjoyed).  Dinner started with a complimentary glass of champagne and plate of brie, pancetta, and cornichon with pesto (sweet!).  I ordered the crispy shrimp and jicama salad to start, which came with mandarin oranges and a citrus vinaigrette that was delicious.  For my entrée, I had diver scallops over wild mushroom and truffle risotto – BEST THING EVER.  The waiter actually told me I ordered the best thing on the menu, and it definitely did not disappoint.  Neither did the chef coming out at the end of the meal to check in and see how it was – such a nice gesture.  I would be a regular for sure if I lived in Santa Fe (well, and if I were rich, let’s be honest…).  It was the perfect ending to a great stay in Santa Fe.  


No comments:

Post a Comment